Medical relocation requiring experience and expertise
St Bartholomew’s Hospital, part of Barts Health NHS Trust, issued a tender for a full range of specialist move management services for this major relocation project. They needed highly professional and experienced relocation partner with vast knowledge of working in the NHS, as well as experience in specialist medical relocation.
Subsequently, Crown Workspace, who acquired Premier Workplace Services in 2018, was awarded this contract under Phase 2 of the New Hospitals Programme.
Staff and services needed to be relocated from 9 different buildings into St Bartholomew’s Hospital in West Smithfield – with the end aim of bringing staff and services together.
In addition to these specialist relocations, we removed surplus furniture from 15 buildings, reusing and recycling as appropriate within the waste hierarchy.
The planning and preparation for these highly specialised large-scale moves needed to be meticulous – down to the finest detail – due to the sensitive nature of the workplaces involved.
We had to ensure minimal disruption to the ongoing services provided to the patients. We devised a bespoke management, relocation and recycling solution for the project, working in close collaboration with the Barts Health NHS Trust Team.
Our successful project solution comprised of the following processes:
- Move planning and implementation management
- New furniture and equipment deliveries
- Providing temporary storage facilities
- Secure crates and properly labelled packing materials for safe transportation of all equipment
- The relocation of 160 separate departments to new or existing buildings, including extremely sensitive ward environments and equipment
- Sustainable removal and recycling of all surplus furniture and equipment, saving over 169 carbon equivalent tonnes
- Specialist migration of over 2000 meters of medical records and laboratory areas
- Cleaning of buildings after clearance
“All departments remained operational throughout the project and all programme deadlines were achieved successfully.
Crown Workspace not only met our specific criteria, they exceeded our — and our end users’ — expectations on every phase. The project teams worked seamlessly with our own, which is why this project was so highly regarded as one of the best the hospital has experienced. We plan to continue our excellent partnership moving forward on future projects.”
Steve Eames, Barts Health NHS Trust Project Manager